Follow us on
- Adolphe-Charles Adam: Minuit, Chrétiens "O holy night"
- Henry Thomas Smart: Angels from the realms of Glory
- Hugh Martin: Have yourself a merry little Christmas
- Irving Berlin: White Christmas
- James S. Pierpont: Jingle Bells
- Jay Livingston: Silver Bells
- John Rutter: Nativity Carol
- Leroy Anderson: Sleigh Ride
- Lowell Mason: Joy to the World
- Norman Newell: The Most Wonderful Birthday
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben, BWV 147: Jesu bleibet meine Freude "Jesu, joy of man's desiring"
- Paul McCartney: Liverpool Oratorio: The world you're coming into
- Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker, Op. 71: no 9, Act 1 - Waltz of the Snowflakes
- Mykola Leontovich: Carol of the Bells
- Traditional: The first nowell
Claire Rutter, soprano
Hallé Choir & Orchestra/Carl Davis
Academy Sound & Vision Hallé CDHLL7504 56m DDD
This timely collection of favourite pieces comes across as very welcome in these Christmas times. Carl Davis provides some lovely arrangements of well tried and much loved pieces such as "White Christmas" and "Silver Bells" but he also includes a number of rarities that make for intriguing listening.
Rutter's "Nativity Carol" is one of those splendid discoveries whilst "The World You're Coming Into" from Paul McCartney's exquisite "Liverpool Oratorio" is also given the full-blown symphonic treatment. The Halle's recording is a model of clarity and the wonderfully stark presentation is also a fine complement to the package.
Copyright © 2003, Gerald Fenech